- Place where Josiah died in battle against
Pharaoh Neco of Egypt
(2 Kings 23:29-30), also place where Ahaziah king
died from Jehuís armies (2 Kings 9:27-29).
- It is mentioned in Zechariah 12:12.
- At least symbolically the place of the final
battle between good and evil, Armaggedon (a
Greek form of Har-Meggido or Mt. Megiddo).† See Revelation 16:16.
- On the northwestern side of the Jezreel Valley (the city of Jezreel is on
the southeast side).
- The central mountain overland path comes through
a narrow pass here, making it a place of strategic significance.† I believe an important Maccabean battle against the Syrians was won here.
- Archaeologically, one of the classic sites (like
Jericho).† This cityís roots stretch back well
beyond the time of Israel.
of the ruins as they have been excavated.
The path to the right is the
Canaanite entrance to the city and would have been in use at the time of
Joshua.† To the left is the entrance at
the time of Solomon.† Wilbur Williams
believes that Solomon built the entrance at the end of the path to the
left.† But archaeological minimalists think
it dates from the time of Ahab (since they havenít really conceded that Solomon
even really existed yet).